Recipes

Sunday, July 31, 2011

big WHOOPS for the whoopie pies..


Here goes another disastrous story. This time, with a bit more patience and follow through.

I decided to make these chocolate whoopies for Rob and I to have after our dinner on Thursday. First let me preface that this is not my first whoopie experience. I made red velvet ones during my last winter at Fordham, and they were a big hit. Therefore, in my polka dot apron, I felt cool, calm and collected. Ready to tackle a more traditional recipe.

I patiently followed each step of the recipe and got a good arm workout making the batter perfectly fluffy. Before popping them into the oven, I obviously treated myself to the batter off one of the handmixer beaters. Tasted pretty good. Things seemed to be going well until I saw from the corner of my eye an egg sitting on my counter. With the cakes already in the oven, there was no going back. It was decision time, and I decided to start the whole process over.

I sped through the recipe the second time around. The cakes turned out great. Egg was definitely needed. While the mishap cakes looked fine, they were lacking in favor and cake-like consistency.
Eggless whoopies
Whoopies with egg


WHOOPS!
All in all, the cakes were pretty good. The cake to frosting ratio was off (WAY too much cake), but you can't complain too much about a giant-size oreo.
Lesson learned: one egg can go a long way. 


Chocolate Whoopie Pies 
(Adapted from Gourmet magazine)
For cakes
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup well-shaken buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg

For filling
  • 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 1/4 cups confectioners sugar
  • 2 cups marshmallow cream such as Marshmallow Fluff
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

  • Preheat oven to 350°F. 

  • Combine flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Stir together buttermilk and vanilla in a small bowl.

  • Beat together butter and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy. (The color does lighten significantly.) It will take about 5 minutes with a handmixer. 

  • ADD EGG, beating until combined well. Reduce speed to low and alternately mix in flour mixture and buttermilk in batches, beginning and ending with flour, scraping down side of bowl occasionally, and mixing until smooth.

  • Spoon 1/4-cup mounds of batter about 2 inches apart onto 2 buttered large baking sheets. (I used parchment paper on my second go) Bake in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until tops are puffed and cakes spring back when touched, 11 to 13 minutes. Let cool completely. 

  • For the filling, beat together butter, sugar, marshmallow and vanilla in a bowl with electric mixer at medium speed until smooth.

  • To assemble, spread a rounded tablespoon filling on flat sides of half of cakes and top with remaining cakes. 

The marshmallow filling was delicious. It was less like frosting though, and I had trouble creating a substantial layer for each whoopie because the tops persistently slid off. I probably didn't allow the cakes to cool as long as thy should have because I was so ready to be done with the whole fiasco. If there is a next time, I also will spend more time whipping the frosting get more volume.

3 comments:

  1. Way to get right into. I myself stick to recipes much simpler such as, cakes from boxes, and maybe if I feel like mixing it up I will opt for the brownies instead. :) I am sure they were great. Mmmm oreo cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love box mixes.. sometimes the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you girls baking and cooking. One day you will be treating the family to the holiday dinner.:)

    ReplyDelete